The disconnected, confused, disjointed, incoherent, random, unplanned, bewildering, jumbled, topsy-turvy, confounding, obscure, inexplicable, mysterious, paradoxical, perplexing, knotty, meandering, unintelligible, digressive, exuberant, lavish, irregular Ramblings of Me, Bard.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lifestyles of the poor and unknown

You know what makes me sick? Teenage cruelty. Because most of the time they don't even know what they're doing. Actually, I think I'm going to say cruelty in general. I'm not talking about teasing your friends about stuff when you know they don't care, I'm talking about slamming kids into lockers, making fun of people behind their backs, giving the girl at the register of McDonalds a hard time or anything like that. It's so much harder to be kind than it is to be mean, but it's so much more worth it. People might laugh at your witty insults, but they won't remember it in a few hours. What they'll remember for a lifetime is when you're nice. When you care honestly about how they feel. I was thinking today about how adults always make fun of people who work at fast food places, and I thought, "How much harder is it to water flowers all day? Takes about the same amount of brain cells." But when I tell people that I work at a greenhouse they say, "That's great!" What would they say if I told them that I work at Burger King? They wouldn't be impressed, anyway.
One of the guys I know was talking about how his friend is a senior in high school, and there's this freshman who always walks on the wrong side of the hallway, and one day he yelled the kid's name and shoved him into a locker. It was kind of a funny story, but I couldn't help thinking of Napoleon Dynamite, when he gets shoved into a locker. And I remember when I was a freshman, and how completely timid I was (I didn't even go to a public high school), and if someone had done that to me I never would have spoken again. And I'm SO glad that instead of that, I got a supportive choir, and a homeschool group where before people even knew my name they were trying to be friends with me. And people talk about homeschoolers being social misfits, but I've never met a homeschooler who would shove someone into a locker.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see it as an example of the human condition. A fallen world produces fallen actions. Why should anyone do anything but their own desires if they have no higher authority than the great Number 1?


Christians, real ones, will (nearly) always act in a transformed way. It's good that you've seen both, and can see which is better. It's a great chance to tell people why.

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.

Now, let's see if I can say anything profound...it's sick. Yeah, it is. I totally agree with you, Rol. And it's everywhere. It isn't contained to one or two places.

But I've got to disagree with you on one thing, there are homeschoolers who would shove someone in a locker (hey-look at me!). No, seriously, I think you've heard me talk about this before. There are mean people out there, homeschooled or not. And I may end up socking one of them in the nose sometime. I can only take comfort in the fact that one day they will have to answer to what they've done to God's children. They're gonna have to pay up to the big guy, and that would be worse than anything me-or you- could do to them.

Anyhow, I'm certain I'm rambling, so I'll stuff a sock in it.

3:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home