The disconnected, confused, disjointed, incoherent, random, unplanned, bewildering, jumbled, topsy-turvy, confounding, obscure, inexplicable, mysterious, paradoxical, perplexing, knotty, meandering, unintelligible, digressive, exuberant, lavish, irregular Ramblings of Me, Bard.

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Nanny nanny boo boo

Ha ha.
I'm so cool. I went to a Newsboys concert with Kat Sunday night. Woohoo! Twas great fun. Rebecca St. James played, too. There was also a guy named Todd Agnew who was really funny. He was talking about a worship song, and part of it goes, "I want to know you/I want to see your face." So he said, "Moses, you know, the answer to every old testament trivia questions. If you don't know the answer, just say Moses. He asked to see God's face. God said, 'No, it would kill you.' So are we saying 'I want to know you/Would you please kill me?' I don't think that's what we're trying to say." He also had a good voice.

Kat and I had a plan. When the Newsboys came out, we were going to yell at the top of our lungs "I LOVE NEWSBOYS!" We got the idea from A Cinderella Story, which I kind of liked, despite Chad Michael Murray and Hillary Duff. I have nothing against them personally, but I don't think they really act. Because every movie I see them in, they're the same. Exactly the same. The savior of the movie was Hillary Duff's (Sam's) best friend in the movie, Carter, played by Dan Byrd. He was awesome, and if I ever planned on marrying someone, I would totally marry him.
Okay, not really. But he was cool. In one part, he shouted "I LOVE FOOTBALL! I LOVE FOOTBALL!" It was really funny. That's what Kat and I did. I don't think they heard it, because it was so loud there. The croud was wild.
Peter Furler said a number of very funny things, but I really don't want to list them all. So I won't. Kat and I jumped up and down and shreiked during the applause. It was great. Truly great.
You know how when you're with a friend, you do stuff that you'd never do alone? Well, that's how it was with me and Kat.
The Newsboys sang all my favorite songs (Entertaining Angels, based on one of my favorite Bible verses, Million Pieces, Joy, and the Breakfast song.) I was wearing my Breakfast T-shirt. It's from a long time ago, and it used to be my mom's, but she gave it to me.
While I was there, I got a Rebecca St. James Beanie. It cost $15 bucks, but it's still cool. It's reversable, and on one side, it has stripes (baby and navy blue) and says "Rebecca St. James." The other side has the same colors, but says "Worship God" over and over again. Beanies are the only hats I look good in, and this one looks awesome. I wore it to choir. I looked hot.
Okay, I didn't look hot, but I liked it anyway.

Before the concert, we looked at the merchandise. I have to say, I was really dispointed. First of all, the stuff cost a TON! There were only two or three shirts that cost under $20. I can't really blame the Newsboys or Rebecca St. James for that. I think the places they play at set the minimum price. But I can blame them for the way the stuff looked.
As I mentioned before, there were only a few shirts that cost $20, and none that cost less. The average price was $30 or so. But the shirts that did were baby doll shirts. I like the style well enough, but these were practically see-through if you were to put them on. The largest size was an extra large, but it was only about the size of an average small. I didn't even get one, though they had cool styles. Are they trying to make teenage girls feel fat? Seriously. I wouldn't have been comfortable in them, and I'm not huge, as people go.
The other shirt I had a problem with was a Rebecca St. James shirt. It was really cute. It cost $25, but you couldn't see through it. It said "Waiting for my Prince Charming." At first I thought, "Hey, that's a cute idea." But then I actually thought about it, and didn't think so anymore.
I realize that what the shirt *meant* was related to virginity, which yeah, that's cool. But what it sounded like to me was, "Just sitting around, waiting for the perfect guy to find me because I can't to anything else." If a guy wore a shirt that said "Waiting for my Cinderella," people would definately make fun of him. Because society dictates that they guys is supposed to do the finding, and the girl is dependent on getting married for support in life. I don't plan on getting married. i might, but I'm just not thinking "Well, after high school (or college, or whatever) I don't have to worry about anything because by then I'll be married." No. I can make it without a guy. And if I think I have a chance with one, and am serious about him, I would ask him out. I'd give him a chance to, because he'd probably get mad at me if I didn't, or something, but I'd still do it.
I might be overly sensitive, but I think I have a point. I know for a fact that I'm really sensitive to stereotypes anyway, but that shirt just bugged me. Am I wrong?
At choir, a girl stopped me and said, "Hey, I saw you last night!" I asked her where, and when she said at a concert I was thinking a choir concert, so I was confused. Then I remembered, and we exchanged a few words about it. Unfortunately we were interupted by Mrs. Jay, who actually wanted us to practice. Imagine!
I had told Kat that when I wore my new beanie to choir, a Certain Someone (the Unknown) would fall madly in love with me.
He didn't. Actually, he was too busy counting the times Mrs. Jay made us stop in the middle of the song, to correct us, to notice me. It was Ash's idea. It was really funny. She stopped us 60 times in one practice. The Unknown wrote it on the board.
Actually, Angie wrote the sum of all the individual songs on the board. The Unknown wrote most of the song correction times on the chalk board.
Sometimes I wish I were Ash, because he talks to her all the time. I mean, I still want to be me, but I wish he would talk to me like he talks to Ash. All the time. Not that he likes her. They're friends. Because Ash is 17, and Unknown is 13.
Yes, I realize that he's one year younger than me. I don't care.
Seriously.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thicky, dear,
Who are the Newsboys? Are they a Christian type band? It sounded like it, anyways. I can't believe you watched A Cinderella Story. You make me cry.

~Emmo

7:06 PM

 
Blogger Bard said...

Yes, the Newsboys are a Christian type band. One of my favorites.
I didn't WANT to watch it. I watched it for the same reason I watched the Lizzie McGuire Movie. My best friend made me do it. And I love my best friend, so I suffered.

7:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home