The disconnected, confused, disjointed, incoherent, random, unplanned, bewildering, jumbled, topsy-turvy, confounding, obscure, inexplicable, mysterious, paradoxical, perplexing, knotty, meandering, unintelligible, digressive, exuberant, lavish, irregular Ramblings of Me, Bard.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Here is what I like to read:

If anyone wants to see a realio truelio list of what I read, you can click that little "librarything" on the sidebar, although it's not complete because I need to pay for it to put any more books on (which I think I will, I just haven't done so yet). But for a few of my favorites, this is a start.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
This is truly a GREAT book. Silvie, if you haven't read it yet, you need to. It's like Pratchett, only sci/fi. Read the other books, too. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life the Universe and Everything, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish and Mostly Harmless. There are other Douglas Books not in the series and I'm sure they're really good, but I haven't read them and therefore cannot acurately reccomend them.

All American Girl by Meg Cabot.
If you are in the mood for a fluffy chick novel, please read this one. It's about Sam, the non-conformist rebel artist who always wears black to mourn her generation's...everything, and how she starts out the book thinking she's in love with her sister's boyfriend, then saves the life of the President of the USA and her life changes. And, of course, she realizes she isn't in love with her sister's boyfriend. Because he's kind of stupid, actually. She starts out the book kind of a brat, but in the end you'll see that she's changed a lot, and that's what I like about it.

Boy and the sequel Going Solo by Roald Dahl.
If you ever wondered where the famous author Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) got his inspiration you should read these books. Even if you've never wondered about it you should read these books. They're a very interesting narration of Dahl's life, including funny stories of his family and dreadful stories of his boarding schools.

The Ear, The Eye and The Arm by Nancy Farmer.
This book has just about the right mixture of humour, suspense and meaning. It's the story of three children who first sneak out of their high security house (it's set in the future, and their father is a political figure) and are then kidnapped. It switches between their story and the plot of the three private eyes who are hired to find them. Due to pollution, the three have unusual looks. Ear had huge ears with sensitive hearing and is generally sensitive to pain as well, Eye has to wear special glasses to shield his eyes, and Arm, along with his long arms, has the power to feel people's emotions, and that power is growing day by day.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
Did you like the movie? The book is even better.

The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones.
A must for any writer of fantasy. Deals with basically every cliche in the book, and makes you laugh besides. The only downer is that I think it's kind of rare in the States.

Anything Pratchett is also good. I don't really feel like going on right now. Those are all the really goods from one bookshelf. I'll do the other one later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually never read any of those books...sorry! I'm more of a C.S. Lewis, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Emily Dickinson type. With some Charles Swindoll thrown in for good measure.I haven't read any chick lit in....years. Maybe five? I think I need more fluff in my life. Hm.

See you tonight. ;)

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home