The disconnected, confused, disjointed, incoherent, random, unplanned, bewildering, jumbled, topsy-turvy, confounding, obscure, inexplicable, mysterious, paradoxical, perplexing, knotty, meandering, unintelligible, digressive, exuberant, lavish, irregular Ramblings of Me, Bard.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

In response to a lecture...

(Note: This lecture was not given to me by my parents.)
Today someone was talking about how Reliant K (one of my favorite bands; Christian punk) is doing a tour with Good Charlotte. He was talking about how cool that was, because people who aren't Christian and avoid all Christian things might come to this concert and actually hear someone talk about God. I personally agree with him. As long as Reliant K doesn't get badly influenced by secular bands, I'm all for this idea. I'm not saying I would go to this concert (I hardly know anything about Good Charlotte, I've only heard a few of their songs), I just think it's another way to shine for God. You kind of have to be among men for your light to shine among them.
Kat was all against this. She had a bunch of reasons, some of which were good, but I still disagree with her. Then on the way home from Mothers Of Preschoolers--Kat and I were babysitting-- we heard a song by Switchfoot. Kat's mom went off on a lecture about how bands like Switchfoot and Reliant K are holding people back spiritually and stuff like that. I'd like to note that Shawn knows that Reliant K is one of my favorite bands. It really bugs me when people slam other people's favorite bands. You don't see me talking about how awful Michael W. Smith is, even though I don't really like his music.
Kat's mom continued for the ENTIRE RIDE on this lecture. She actually didn't have much of a problem with Switchfoot, it turns out. She just thinks Reliant K is awful. The first thing Shawn said was something like, "Reliant K only talk about 'Oh, it's raining outside and I'm depressed and it's still raining and now I'm bipolar.' They act like babies, and I don't think you girls should listen to that band any more. They're spiritual baby food, and you need to be eating steak." Um, the actual lyrics to the song are as follows:
We were talking together/I said what's up with this weather/Don't know whether or not/How sad I just got/Was it of my own volition/Or was I just missin' the sun?.../On and off/The clouds have fought/For control over the sky/And lately the weather has been so bipolar and/Consequently so have I/But now I'm sunny with a high of 75/Since you took my heavy heartAnd made it light/And it's funny how you find/You enjoy your life/When you're happy to be alive.
Okay, so yeah, there is one line about being bipolar. But there's also a section about how God can make you happier even though the weather is bad. Or whatever. I think they aren't just talking about the weather. I think they're also talking about all the junk that can fill your life up and make you feel crappy until you go back and seek God; or the sun. The second verse talks about waiting outside until you see the sun, which is pretty positive (especially if my theory is correct). The song isn't filled with spiritual wonders or anything, but you can understand it (don't even try to tell me that when it's all grey and cloudy out you feel happier than when it's sunny).
She also mentioned that their songs are all about the stereotypical teen. Angry and angsty. Wrong. Some of the songs are about having bad days, and some are about making mistakes, but you can relate. I can, anyway. You can be a teen and have a bad day, you know. It doesn't mean you have a bad attitude.
Then she said something about how when you accept Jesus into your heart you kill the flesh. Funnily enough, there's a Reliant K song about that. Of course she didn't mention that song.
The topic changed to Kat's "band." She wants to start a band and she's even written music, but she expects to be the biggest thing since computers next week. I don't. I don't even know how to play bass yet! Shawn was talking all about how we would be better and sing good music like steak or whatever.
I think one of my major faults is that as soon as someone starts talking about how I'm going to do this, or I'm going to do that without even talking to me, I get more and more set on not doing whatever they're talking about. Especially when it's a lecture and I can't even disagree. I had to sit through a half-hour car ride listening to a bunch of stuff I violently didn't believe, but couldn't say anything. At least when I'm talking to my parents I can tell them if I think they're wrong (as long as I have a reason and state it politely).
Grr. I hate not being able to tell people what I think. It bugs me even more because I think the main reason why she doesn't like them is because she met them when she was younger, and didn't like them (or something).

2 Comments:

Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I agree with you about how Christian bands tour with non-Christians. It's pretty cool!

9:48 AM

 
Blogger Beck said...

Rember me!? Gember(Rebecca)?
I've finaly posted in my blog. You can go read or whatever if you want. ^^

-I love Relient K. They are so cool. :3 they are my favorite band too. =D

7:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home